Sunday 12 April 2015

Earth Day Project

This year I decided to combine my Earth Day and Harmony Day projects together! First we discussed how we could make the world a more harmonious place, for both the environment and humanity. I gave the students the story starter 'I can make the world a better place by…" and away they went! I was super impressed with all the amazing ideas they came up with :)

After students had finished their good copies, they moved onto their art activity. I love incorporating art in my writing lessons, it's a great way for students to be intrinsically motivated in the task! For this activity I used a shaving cream marbling technique to create Earths. Here's how to do it:

Trace a circle onto white cardstock and then cut it out.

Squirt about a handful of shaving cream on a piece of newspaper and spread it out until there is a thick layer covering a large area of the newspaper.

Squirt blue and green paint over the shaving cream, and then use the end of a thin paint brush to swirl the paint around. Make sure you don't over swirl! 

Press the paper circle firmly into the shaving cream and leave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Very carefully, lift the paper circle and place it on some newspaper for about 5-10 minutes. 

Using a ruler, scrape the remaining foam off the work and ta-da! Your beautiful Earth is ready! I love the individual marbling patterns on them! Click here to watch a video with shaving cream marbling art from teachingwithtlc.com :)

Finally we used a large sheet of black paper for our background and cut out letters from newspapers and magazines to spell out 'Heal The World' on our work.


The students did such a brilliant job and were engaged the whole time, which is always a win! I think they look absolutely brilliant!!

Keep smiling!
Miss A

No comments:

Post a Comment